Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Day 2 in Chambery

Forty-eight hours ago I arrived in Chambery with friends Karen & Rob, tired after many hours of travel, and wondering what was in store for me here. It is definitely strange to find oneself in a new place where very few people speak English, and where I speak relatively none of their language. It could be a long 2 weeks until the start of language school, with conversation and information at a minimum!

Thankfully, my hosts, Laurent & Letizia, speak English quite well, which has definitely eased my transition. We do a bit of Franglais(?) but mostly they speak English, or speak French and translate it to English, and I speak English back :-) Today, Laurent began my informal French study with 10 French words and 5 French questions. The hardest part so far: saying an "r" from my throat instead of rolling it off my tongue like a Spanish speaker. We laughed a lot today as I stumbled through the many words with "r" in them.

I'll try to write more soon, and post some pictures.
A bien tot

2 comments:

Randal Kay said...

Margit,

Glad you made it!!!! I'll be praying for your language studies.

Our Krista, serving with the Peace Corps in Burkina Faso took over two years of French, and now is in her second village (second tribal language) where only one person speaks French...so much for language study.

Hang in there, girl...you'll do great. I'll share your news with the groups here.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the updates. Nice pictures. You are in our hearts and prayers. (Rick and Elaine -Felton Area)