Its been almost a year since I moved to Chad, and over six months since my blog entry announcing our arrival in the east. I’m sorry for not updating you more faithfully here, but hopefully you’ve found other ways to keep up.
Its been a full 6 months. Here’s a quick recap…
November…I moved to the east and settled into Antje’s house. I learned quickly that French would not do me the same service here as in N’Djamena, and so quickly fell to improving my limited Arabic. I met some neighbors and lots of ladies in the market, all of whom want me to be THEIR client. I learned that every woman is named either Hawa, Khadidja, or Zenaba, or at least it seemed like it. Thanksgiving was a sumptuous affair complete with homemade pumpkin pie, courtesy of Karen.
Its been a full 6 months. Here’s a quick recap…
November…I moved to the east and settled into Antje’s house. I learned quickly that French would not do me the same service here as in N’Djamena, and so quickly fell to improving my limited Arabic. I met some neighbors and lots of ladies in the market, all of whom want me to be THEIR client. I learned that every woman is named either Hawa, Khadidja, or Zenaba, or at least it seemed like it. Thanksgiving was a sumptuous affair complete with homemade pumpkin pie, courtesy of Karen.
December…the weather cooled off a little bit. Sometimes I even put on lightweat pants or a long sleeve shirt in the late evenings and early mornings. I discovered one of Antje and Bendo’s favorite pastimes: walking in the hills. We celebrated our first Christmas here with a Mexican Fiesta and rang in 2009 with some German friends. The team’s favorite Christmas present: Ticket to Ride, a type of board game that quickly became the new game of choice. Even Eleanor, Elijah and Silas got into it.
January…2009 was barely in motion and I headed down to N’Djamena. Steve and I worked on getting our container out of customs and on its way eastward (quite the saga, for Steve especially). I traveled to France to visit some friends and got to experience a bit of the biting cold of a northern French winter. Transportation back to eastern Chad was less than certain, but PTL I got a free ride on an ancient soviet military plane that was transporting cokes and Frosted Flakes to Eufor soldiers. I even made it home just in time for Karen’s birthday party.
February…I was now living alone as Antje left for furlough in January. I spent many hours getting to know Masturah, my househelper and informal language helper. Our team set language goals, and I set to work trying to meet my own. Language learning has its ups and downs. Living alone has its ups and downs. I’m extremely thankful for my team and the fun that we all have together.
March...I’m still living alone, but so thankful that my house is a haven of peace and rest most of the time. Antje has set up a great courtyard, with grapefruit trees, and lots of flowering plants. Just looking at all the green in the midst of the desert is soothing to the soul. The highlight of the month was Eunice’s arrival. I met Eunice briefly in October when visiting my parents, little knowing that we would later become housemates! I’m thankful for someone to talk with, play games with, and yes, share the watering with!
April…Arabic language study continues. The women on the team have a post-Easter party with our househelpers that was great fun, and a great opportunity to share the good news with these women that we love so much. Rob’s parents braved the rigors of Chad and come for a visit…our team’s first visitors! I had the opportunity to go back down to N’Djamena to help the Carters pack and make the two day drive across country. Just in time too, as I was starting to feel a bit of cabin fever—three whole months in one place! (I know, I think that there must be some sort of mental illness that has nomadic symptoms.) We are all SO glad to have the Carters back with us again.
May…I decided that I’ll start my seven month furlough in July. For various reasons, I’ll be leaving eastern Chad in early June which doesn’t give me much more time here. The days fill up quickly with language study, errands to do, and people to spend time with. Karen and Kirsten bought us all team lafays; one day we wore them all for a trip to the market. Just this weekend our neighbor Dahabay threw a big party for lots of her friends, and Eunice and I got to help out some, and observe a lot.
Now its almost June. I have two more weeks before beginning my journey back to California, and long to see God use this time for His glory. I’m also looking forward to reconnecting with many of you, hearing more about your lives and filling in some of the gaps in my own story. Until the next time…
1 comment:
fabulous photos. Always glad to hear what you are upto. Thanks for the update. If you are ever in North Carolina...
Laura Moore
Post a Comment