Pages

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Mardi Gras Carnival

Last Tuesday was Mardi Gras. I know most of us associate that with the festival in New Orleans, but in actually fact, it apparently is a French tradition. Mardi Gras (literally Fat Tuesday) occurs the day before Ash Wednesday, and is traditionally a time of gaiety and feasting before the fasting of Lent.

Chambery celebrated yesterday with a "Carnaval" that revolved around an Italian theme. Hundreds of people young and old were out on the streets, many wearing some sort of disguise. There was a small parade with a few floats, mostly occupied by school children, a few cool looking cars, and the Savoie Bonne Nouvelle troops, the Chambery version of a marching band. Just after the parade began, the heavens opened and sent down some rain which didn't seem to dampen spirits in any way. At the end of the parade there was some sort of brief show on a stage, followed by a grand processional led by fire breathers to ignite L'homme de le Carnaval. All in all it was a fun and interesting cultural experience.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera, but thankfully Steve didn't. He got some great pictures, of which a few are below for your viewing pleasure. If you want to see more, check out his photo website at http://mckenzie.smugmug.com/.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a marvelous time. I hope you enjoyed yourself. I have been getting your updates from Rick Tozer, but now that I know you have a blog, I will try to check in more often. I have committed to praying for you daily, so if you ever have specific prayer requests feel free to let me know! I am glad you are back safely from your travels!

Trinity