Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Back in nursing school?

So about a month ago, I decided to see if I liked nursing school any more now than I did almost 10 years ago. In order to work on some medical/nursing vocabulary, I decided to attend a class for French students, just out of high school, who are planning to take the nursing school entrance exam next year. The class was called "General Culture for Nurses"...I thought this left things a bit ambiguous as to the content of the class. And sure enough, we covered a variety of topics in the 4 classes that I was able to attend. Eating disorders, mistreatment and abuse, accidents (car and otherwise), and illegal drugs. The students were pretty serious, furiously trying to write down every word the teacher said. Every once in a while I forgot that I wasn't there to pass any test, and found myself doing the same. I think the students were a bit scared of me, the weird American midwife who decided to audit their class. But, they gradually got used to my presence and by my 4th and final day, they were actually talking to me! I found that I understood most of what was said in the class, which was really encouraging, and came away with some useful vocabulary, so all in all it was far from a waste of time!

No comments: