Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Saturday's Musings

As I walked home last night, the moon full and bright with its rainbow halo lit up the clear night sky. Ever since my childhood, I have likened that sight to the entrance to heaven, beautiful and brilliant in splendor. Tonight I gave thanks for Christ who bought my way into His glorious presence and prayed for my new friends and neighbors who have yet to know that there is a way out of darkness into His marvelous light.

Later I was reflecting over the day and my life here in G-town I found myself in awe once again of our Father and His way of orchestrating and ordaining the details of our lives. Before I moved here I prayed that the Lord would prepare just the right living situation for me. I wanted to be able to have lots of interaction with the T people, opportunities to learn their language, share daily life and make friends with T women. I also wanted a place I could call my own, a place of peace when rest is needed.
Yesterday I saw just how the Lord has begun to provide each of those things. I have my own house and yet I share my yard with a T family. The wife and I are becoming friends and as we did yesterday, often spend time talking and working together. Through her I am meeting other T women and some now come to visit me. Last night I had women in and out of my house for 2 hours. Most visits include a language lesson of some sort as everyone is eager to teach their language. Yet in the middle of the day when I needed a break, I could shut my door and take refuge in a bit of solitude. Just what I had prayed for.

Trust me, it doesn't always work out so nicely. This is a communal society and my neighbors can't imagine that I would ever want to be left alone. The idea of having things that are one's own and not for everyone to pick up and touch or use is a very foreign concept. Kids especially think they can walk right in and make themselves at home. Generosity is a high value here and I'm realizing just how selfish my heart can be. Some may ask how I can consider myself selfish when I live in the boonies of Africa. It's easy. Even here there are choices to make with my possessions, my time, my words, and my actions that either set me at the center or Christ. How quickly my focus turns to myself and off the One who alone is worthy of my fixed gaze.
There is definitely a balance to be found between generosity and setting healthy boundaries for the sake of one's own sanity. Yet in all aspects Christ must be preeminent.

One of my nightly habits is to listen to worship music just before falling asleep Two songs got my attention last night: Be Thou My Vision and Jeremy Camp's Unrestrained. One is a timeless hymn, the other about as new as you can get. Both put Christ at the center, calling all to fade away in light of knowing Him and pressing into Him.

"Be Thou my vision oh Lord of my heart...you and you only first in my heart, High King of heaven my treasure you are."

"So take this selfish heart of mine, I want to give it all, I've wasted too much time. Melt away everything that's not of you. I want to know you more, so much deeper than I do. Completely unrestrained. I'll give my life away every single day, a price so small for what you gave."

1 comment:

Mama Rachael said...

Thank you! Its good to be reminded that even in the far reaches, many of our desires are similar; we aren't so different in these very basic of ways. I'm thankful that you've been placed in such a perfect situation (or seems so now!). Hope that language learning is going well. We think of you often.